In this healthy broccoli-Cheddar-chicken chowder recipe, heavy cream is replaced with milk and flour-thickened chicken broth and we keep sodium amounts reasonable with lower-sodium broth. By making your own homemade creamy broccoli, Cheddar and chicken chowder, you’ll save up to 300 calories, 20 grams of saturated fat and 500 milligrams of sodium per serving compared to many store-bought or restaurant chowders.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Finely diced red onion for garnish
- Easy Apple Recipes
- Low-Calorie Soup Recipes
- Healthy Creamy Soup Recipes
- Quick Fall Dinner Recipes
- Our Best Healthy Recipes for Winter
You Might Also Like
- Apple & Grilled Chicken Salad with Cheddar Toasts
- Broccoli, Cannellini Bean & Cheddar Soup
- Cheddar & Broccoli Quiche
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder
- Eggplant-Cheddar Bake
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broccoli and potatoes and bring just to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and 1 cup Cheddar and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve topped with a little more Cheddar and red onion, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, slowly reheat over medium-low or microwave on Medium power.
Per serving: 352 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 724 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (64% daily value), Vitamin A (28% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat