In this Tex-Mex-seasoned stuffed delicata squash recipe we swap out half of the ground beef you’d normally use for bulgur to reduce saturated fat without skimping on the amount of stuffing. Serve with a mixed green salad with cilantro vinaigrette.
- 2 small delicata squash (about 12 ounces each), halved and seeded
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons toasted pepitas (see Tip)
- High-Fiber, Low-Calorie Dinner Recipes
- Holiday Side Dish Recipes
- Make-Ahead Holiday Side Dish Recipes
- Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Healthy Delicata Squash Recipes
You Might Also Like
- Stuffed Delicata Squash for Two
- Quinoa-Stuffed Delicata Squash
- Roasted Delicata Squash & Onions
- Honey-Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash
- Delicata Squash & Tofu Curry
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the cut sides of the squash with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place facedown on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgur and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef, chili powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bulgur and cook 1 minute. Stir in yogurt.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup filling into each squash half. Serve sprinkled with pepitas.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds: Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 344 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (347% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat