In this French-style healthy soup recipe, sausage, cabbage and root vegetables simmer together to make a comforting and healthy meal. Serve the soup piping hot with grated Parmesan cheese on the side. Like most soups, the flavors are even better if it’s made a day ahead.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, mild or spicy, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1/2 inch)
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 10 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Low-Calorie Comfort Food Recipes
- Easy Cabbage Recipes
- Sage Recipes
- Healthy Root Vegetable Recipes
- Low-Calorie Soup Recipes for Fall
You Might Also Like
- Root Vegetable Stew with Herbed Dumplings
- Barley-Root Vegetable Chowder
- Tuscan Spinach, Bean & Sausage Soup
- Swedish Cabbage Soup with Meatballs
- Italian Peasant Soup with Cabbage, Beans & Cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots, turnips, celery root and potato and cook, stirring once or twice, until starting to get tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cabbage; cook until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes. Return the sausage to the pot and stir in broth, wine, tomato, rosemary and thyme. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce the broth and intensify the flavor of the soup. Taste and add more pepper if desired. Serve topped with Parmesan.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 315 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g total sugars; 21 g protein; 6 g fiber; 650 mg sodium; 1086 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Vitamin A (59% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Zinc (19% dv), Vitamin B12 (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv), Folate & Magnesium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat