A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces mild pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Turkey Sausage Recipes
- Healthy Homemade Pasta Sauces
- Quick Dinner Recipes for Two
- Healthy Mediterranean Pasta Recipes
- Farm Fresh Dinners
You Might Also Like
- Rigatoni with Sausage & Broccoli
- Penne with Sausage & Peppers
- Turkey Sausage & Arugula Pasta
- Fusilli with Italian Sausage & Arugula
- Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
- Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.
Per serving: 362 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 441 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat